Anatomical Theatre demolition, 1939
The Anatomical Theatre was designed by Thomas Jefferson in 1825 in response to Dr. Robley Dunglison, the University of Virginia's first professor of medicine, declaring that Pavilion X would be unsuitable for the dissection of cadavers. The building was located along what is now McCormick Road, and four stones marking the corners of its footprint can be seen in the sidewalk and landscaping outside of Alderman Library. It was torn down in 1939, and is the only Jefferson-designed building at the University to be demolished. Alderman Library, completed in 1938, can be seen in the background of this photograph taken by Atcheson Laughlin Hench.
Anatomical Theatre demolition, 1939
Date Created: 
Atcheson Laughlin Hench