The Mews Render Gallery

The structure that has come to be known as The Mews is one of the few surviving outbuildings of the Academical Village and likely dates to 1830, when George W. Spooner and William B. Phillips were paid for work on a kitchen requested by John T. Lomax, Pavilion III resident. The structure was originally a simple one-and-a-half story gable-roofed kitchen with living quarters above, but over the following century underwent many additions, demolitions, and renovations, particularly in the 1920s. A careful reading of the brickwork of the current structure reveals its complex building history, including the fact that the original structure incorporated one of the original straight garden walls located behind Pavilion III.


Further reading:

Rivanna Archaeological Services, and University of Virginia. Office of the Architect. University of Virginia, Non-Major Projects Archaeological Report Series, 2015-2016. University of Virginia, 2017.